In Alberta, the limitation date for an adult injured in motor vehicle collision (MVA) is two years from the date of the accident. The injured person needs to either file a Statement of Claim in the courts or settle their claim in this time period. In most cases (there are very few special exceptions), failure to file within this limitation period closes out any possibility to claim compensation.

In the situation that a minor has sustained an injury the limitation date extends to two years from their eighteenth birthday.

There are other circumstances in which the limitation date of two years may not apply and it is important that you speak with a personal injury lawyer if you feel that you may have passed your limitation date.

You should never try to wait until your injuries resolve before contacting a lawyer.

The danger is two-fold : first you may forget about the limitation date; second, it is important to have advice on what to do and what not to do to ensure that you are fairly compensated once you recover from your injuries (or recover as much as you are going to). Most personal injuries lawyers will provide a free initial consultation and should be willing to provide basic answers to your initial questions over the phone. When it comes to limitation dates, it is better to be safe, than sorry and you should contact us early on in the process.